The Department of Energy (DOE) released research TOPICS for its SBIR/STTR Phase I Release 3 Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) 3/5/2012. These topics can be found at their website: http://science.energy.gov/sbir/
Quick summary for Release 3:
- Research area: Only one DOE program office is participating in this release: Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE).
- Broader topics: In response to feedback from small businesses, EERE has broadened its topics to allow you to submit your best ideas related to energy efficiency and renewable energy. Although the topics are broad, they do incorporate specific performance objectives set by EERE. You are expected to address how your proposed technology will meet these performance objectives.
- Pre-application: We are requiring pre-applications for this FOA. The pre-application contains a project description that is limited to 2000 words and 5 pages. DOE project managers will review your pre-applications. Following the pre-application review, only those who receive a letter encouraging a formal application may submit a formal application.
- Funding Opportunity Announcement: The FOA will be issued on April 3, 2012. Please refer to that document for additional details on pre-applications, applications and evaluation criteria.
- Webinar: We are planning a webinar on Monday March 19, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT to provide you with additional information. In particular, EERE officials will answer questions on Release 3’s broader topics and discuss frequently-asked-questions received during the pre-solicitation period. DOE will send an email to their mailing list soon with more details about the webinar. (If you would like to join the DOE’s mailing list, please use the link at the bottom of the DOE SBIR webpage: “Join the SBIR/STTR Mailing List.”) Or send an e-mail to email@example.com with the Subject Line : Mailing List.