Technical and Business Assistance (TABA)
SBIR/STTR Supplemental Funding
TABA is a relatively new new program (authorized in 2019) that gives SBIR/STTR awardees, funding over and above your SBIR/STTR grant. TABA funding can be use for commercialization and business assistance expenses that you cannot otherwise include in your SBIR/STTR budget/proposal. TABA-covered service expenses can pay for assistance services from one or more third-party service providers you identify, such as Our IPart Partner Organizations (if allowed by that IPart Partner Entity) OR any of our Preferred Providers.
Among the agencies that offer TABA, most want you to apply for this option when you submit your SBIR/STTR Phase I or Phase II proposal.
TABA Funding can be used for any of the following – as examples:
- Company Resource and Team Building
- Expert/End-User Interviews for Insights and Market Validation
- Financial Plan Review
- Fundraising Strategy Development
- IP Landscape Review
- IP Strategy Consultation
- Identifying & Outreaching to Potential Commercialization Partners
- Licensing Advisory/ Deal Terms
- Market Assessment- reviewing competitive technologies, market size and dynamics
- Market Entry Launch Strategy Development
- Manufacturing Strategy Consultation
- Needs Assessment and/or SWOT Analysis
- Preparation of Technology Marketing Material
- Product Development Consultation
- Review and edit of Commercialization Plan
- Regulatory Strategy Consulting
- Technology Marketing for Trade Show, Conference, or Event
Please see the table below for TABA-offering Agencies and their allowable request amounts:
|Agency/Program||Phase I Amt||Phase II Amt|
|DOD varies by component||up to $6,500||up to $50,000|
NSF TABA Dear Colleague Letter 2019
NIH TABA PPT
**Please note that not all agencies or DoD services/components have exercised TABA.
CAUTION: As with ANY SBIR/STTR funding program/mechanism – you will need to carefully read the actual opportunity solicitation to realize the current TABA guideline/parameters/submission processes for that Agency/opportunity.