*Please note that all links in this post may work intermittently, as NIST is updating many of the pages in preparation for the iEdison Launch.
To inform iEdison system users that the iEdison system will be unavailable from August 2-8, 2022 in preparation for the transition from NIH eRA to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC) and the proposed launch of the new iEdison by NIST on August 9. In addition, remind iEdison system users of long-standing compliance requirements regarding invention reporting and the consequences for noncompliance.
As was outlined in NOT-OD-22-100, the management of iEdison, the system used by awardees to report inventions and patents resulting from federal research funding per the Bayh-Dole Act (35 U.S.C. 200-206), is transitioning from the NIH eRA to the DOC NIST iEdison was developed and has been managed by NIH since 1995.
- NIST will unveil a new iEdison system on August 9, 2022.
- In preparation for the transition, the NIH eRA iEdison system will be unavailable from August 2 to August 8.
- When the new system is available, users will find that NIST has redesigned iEdison to improve the underlying flow to make it more user-friendly, with several new capabilities (outlined in Guide Notice NOT-OD-22-100).
- All existing data and any attachments associated with the individual invention, patent, and utilization reports will be transferred to the new iEdison system. In addition, existing and active iEdison accounts will be transferred to the new iEdison system.
- On August 9, users attempting to access the NIH eRA iEdison system will automatically be redirected to NIST’s new system.
Reminder: Actions for Users to Take Before the Transition
To ensure a smooth transition, iEdison users should:
- Sign up for system updates — Subscribe to NIST for the latest updates on the redesigned iEdison, including updates on training opportunities described below.
- Attend a training session — NIST will be hosting several online training sessions during the months of July and August to demonstrate how to navigate and use the new iEdison system. Training sessions will be broken into two 2-hour sessions and are currently scheduled on the following dates:
- Part 1 Sessions: July 18, July 26, August 1, August 15, and August 25
- Part 2 Sessions: July 19, July 28, August 2, August 16, and August 26
Additional information on these training opportunities will be posted on www.nist.gov/iedison and sent to those who have subscribed to NIST updates.
- Deactivate obsolete accounts — Deactivate accounts that are no longer needed and do not need to be transferred to the new system (account administrators should take this action) See steps on <Deactivating User Accounts in iEdison>.
- Prepare to use Login.gov (Important) — Access to the new iEdison system will require a Login.gov account. Create a Login.gov account at Login.gov, using the email address you have for your existing iEdison account (this ensures the linkage between a user’s existing and new iEdison account). Using Login.gov ensures an extra layer of security through two-factor authentication. For instructions on how to set up a Login.gov account, see Creating a Login.gov Account | NIST.