As active and concerned members of the technology small business community in Pennsylvania we know you want to do all you can to sustain and grow critical R&D funding.
The Continuing Resolution (CR) authorizing the extended operation of SBIR program is due to expire March 20, 2009 (STTR won’t actually expire until September 30, 2009). For the SBIR/STTR programs to continue, two things need to happen:
1) The current CR will need to be renewed before March 20, 2009; and,
2) The SBIR/STTR Programs will need to be reauthorized by Congress.
What can you do?
Again, our friend Rick Shindell (zyn.com) has put together and easy to follow guide for taking action and making you voice heard to support these needed small business technology funding programs.
From Rick Shindell’s SBIR Insider Newsletter* dated February 24, 2009:
YOU CAN – Develop a brief message urging an SBIR extension for a year, stating its importance to you, your business and community. Stress that a collapse of SBIR could be catastrophic not just for you, but your city/state and the entire high tech small business community. Stress that the SBIR community is a pillar of America’s innovation and economic stimulus . Do it in your own words because boilerplate language is far less effective.
1. Call your Senators, both their local and DC offices. http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
2. Call your Representative, both their local and DC offices. http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.shtml
3. Go to their web sites and use the email or webmail links to send them your message.
4. Contact the Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship email@example.com – 202-224-5175
5. Contact the House Small Business Committee (202) 225-4038 www.house.gov/smbiz/
6. Contact the House Committee on Science (202) 225-6375 – http://science.house.gov/contact/contact_generalform.shtml
7. Go to the President’s web site at http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/
8. Contact your local Innovation Partner to find out what more you can do and express your support.
(*More detailed information can be found at http://http://www.zyn.com/sbir/ )